Thursday, February 01, 2007

RIP Fancy

One of my guinea pigs died today. She was relatively old (in guinea pig years, anyway), and I left them with Mom and Steve when I moved to Florida this past summer.
Even so, I had Fancy since she was a baby, so I'm still pretty sad. She was just so damn sweet and good-natured (I know she's just a "rodent" but they really do have distinct personalities). She hadn't been eating much for a few days, so Mom and Steve took her to the vet yesterday (Wednesday). Apparently, her teeth had grown a little too long so she was having a hard time eating and drinking and was kind of weak. The vet told them to feed her Kayo (or however you spell it) syrup to give her energy every hour through the night and the morning...and Steve, bless his heart, actually called into work last night so he could do it. Mom was going to take Fancy to work this morning so she could do it during the day and Steve could sleep....they got in the car and arrived at Mom's work, and Fancy was gone. (At least she wasn't alone when she died, so I feel better. She was with her new "parents.")

Honestly, other than the whole "starving her to death thing," ;) she really had a better life this past year with Mom and Steve than I would have given her. They were much more attentive, etc., than I could have been.

And yes, this is not nearly as significant as the recent death I experienced, which is probably because I'm not as emotional as I thought I'd be....still, I feel bad that I didn't say goodbye to her before I left Michigan last month. (Stupid, I know.) But she always squeaked when I came into the room and still seemed to know me....and I'll miss her.

She was awesome.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Technically she was a cavie, not a rodent.

Mom said...

Anna-
Pumpkin. We have her.

Mom said...

OK I guess it's spelled cavy.

Jen said...

Yes, Pumpkin the Bully is still alive and kicking (literally, probably). =-)