Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Are you #^#&#(#))# KIDDING me?
Otherwise known as: my meeting today

Let's just say, it's a good thing I don't have to go to these meetings on a regular basis.

Let's also just say that I have pretty much decided, after the meeting, that I will NOT be teaching middle school next year (at least, not at this school). Immediately after the meeting, I shot an email to the 5th grade teachers, begging "Please can I come join you next year??!?" There is going to be at least one 5th grade opening next year, maybe more (depending on who comes back), so I have a good shot at it. Plus, they set it up kind of like middle school, in the sense that one teacher teaches science to all kids, one does social studies, etc. Right now, they ALL teach language arts (they only have 3 teachers, so they have designated math/social studies/science teachers)--so there's literally a perfect place for me in the team for next year.

That is, IF the principal and VP want me back next year (which is why it's a good thing I don't go to those meetings regularly, because I was getting some looks from them based on my very angry and hostile body language).

Basically, the meeting was a waste, and the problems that I described in my earlier post are not going to change, at least not as long as the current administration stays in place. We spent about 75% of the meeting talking about the other concerns on the list (I think they did that on purpose) so that we had to rush through the "lack of support in disciplinary matters" portion of the meeting. I'm paraphrasing here, but this was the general message:

1) If you can't handle the kids, it's because you're a shitty teacher and your classroom management sucks. There are no problem kids, only problem teachers.

2) Things like insuborniation are "level 1" offenses (verbal warnings, etc) and kids will never be suspended for that anyway. "Yes," one teacher was quick to say, "the FIRST TIME. Repeat offenses are level 2 and level 3" (suspention and expulsion). This is according to OUR CORPORATE HANDBOOK. The powers-that-be, however, basically said that they will handle discipline as they see fit. "There are teachers who NEVER send referrals to the office," they said, "because they can handle the students." Yeah, like the 5th grade team--BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN THEY **DO** SEND KIDS DOWN, SO THEY'VE GIVEN UP AND HANDLE THINGS THEMSELVES. I know this for a fact, because THOSE TEACHERS HAVE TOLD ME SO. Furthermore, middle school students ARE a whole different animal, and you can still intimidate elementary kids in a way that you can't with the older grades. And guess what--if EVERY SINGLE TEACHER in middle school has a problem with a student, and if that student has been EXPELLED FROM OTHER SCHOOLS, THEN NO, THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH THE TEACHER.

So tomorrow, I'm going to email the powers-that-be and put the bug in their ear now that I'd like to move to 5th grade next year (basically, put my "dibs" on it). I'll start off very complimentary and polite, that I genuintely like and respect them both, I love the school, blah blah blah. I can play the corporate-kiss-ass game with the best of them. I'll also acknowledge that as a first-year teacher, I know that I have made mistakes, that I can always improve in classroom management. and that I still have a lot to learn. However, I would prefer not to teach middle school next year because of a couple of students (namely, "F" in 7th and "D" in 6th). I'll say that I'm really sad that two or three students have "ruined" middle school for me, but that's how disruptive and outright disrespectful these particular students are. And I'll say, tactfully, that although I don't necessarily agree with some of their views regarding discipline, I have to agree to disagree, as I defer to them and their vast, almighty knowledge and wisdom, blah blah blah; therefore, since certain middle school students will continue to attend this school, I would prefer to not teach at that grade level.

What do you think? I do want them to know why I don't want to teach that level next year; I think it IS important for them to understand, especially because they're going to have one, MAYBE 2 returning middle school teachers for next year, whether they know it yet or not (although "0" is also a possibility, too, as my friend really wants to teach PE next year). However, I will still have expressed my respect for them and my desire to remain a part of the team; I will also take some of the fault/responsibility onto MY shoulders with the whole "I'm a first year teacher so I KNOW I still have a lot to learn, I've made mistakes, as well, etc" part, rather than saying "The fault is all with you since you won't do anything about these kids."

Suggestions?

7 comments:

JH said...

Wow.... First let's start off with the positives...

I love the new look for your blog. Second. Hang in there. There was times I wanted to quit too because my students were eating me alive. But I have learned that good teachers do send students to the office, it took me a while to learn that.

Third. I am sorry your admin is not supportive. That sucks. So that being said I guess if they don't handle it you have to get stricter in the class and start scaring them there. First offense = warning. Second offense = papers on respect. Third offense = daily calls home. Maybe you can annoy their parents in submission.

Fourth. This is something we do at our Career and Technical Center, but it seems to work a little. We give them a daily grade that is 30% of their grade. It's 10 points a day and they are graded for being professional, prepared and respectful. It's a lot a of points and I am not sure if that would fly in a normal school that doesn't teach things like auto body and welding, but maybe it would help. I give my students 9's unless they really deserve a 10 by showing that they really want to be there. It has almost become like a competition. But of course they lose points for anything from not bringing their pencil to leaving the room a mess.

I am not sure if this helps at all but maybe something can translate.

Stay strong... Remember Solidarity! I am with you sista'!
:)

Mom said...

Just don't get yourself fired.

Jen said...

well i did talk to the vp today for like an hour (it started as an informal chat and i was able to segue, very tactfully, into my concerns, etc). I really do like him on a PERSONAL level and I do feel better having talked to him (although again, it's clear that nothing will really change). I put the bug in his ear about 5th for next year; we'll see.

Nik said...

Wish I had some ideas for you, but I don't really understand what options there could be in your situation. Too bad ya can't exclude the problem kids from certain things or reward the good kids with something, while blatantly ignoring the jerk kids. That would rock, but I don't think that you'd get away with that.

I think that you're going to have problem kids no matter what grade level you teach. I remember at least one asshole kid in every grade. The level of disrespect just got worse as they got older.

As far as your email, just try not to be too much of a smartass when composing. LOL Sounds like you've got it pretty well planned out though. Good luck to ya and don't let them take you down.
Hugs

Nik said...

P.S.-- the new look is kickin! I'm diggin it.

keesh said...

hmm, I think this summer you shoudl look for a job back in Michigan...after all you will have had 1 year experience and we would love to have you back home...on a side note, keeping personal feelings aside, I think your ideas of what to do are fabo and you will do great things no matter where you are!

Fred said...

Yup.

Move to high school. Then get AP and Honors courses. Suddenly, teaching is fun.

I can totally understand your desire to leave middle school behind. It's not worth it.