Saturday, May 22, 2004

I don't think we're in Motown anymore, Toto.

On Friday, some severe weather rolled through metro Detroit. Around 2 pm we actually had to have the kids take their "tornado positions." There were a lot of tears, of course...but then I pulled myself together. ;) No, seriously, the kids did great--they were upset, of course, but the whole thing was really scary. Green sky, high winds, heavy rain, hail...the phone was ringing off the hook with parents telling us to take shelter. The principal and main secretary were gone yesterday, which meant that 2 other staff members and I had to make the call.

The whole day was one of the most adult days of my life. I can't remember ever being that scared--not for myself, but for those 350 kids whose lives we were suddenly responsible for. Being able to stay composed and calm on the outside when I was terrified on the inside, being the one that those kids were looking to for reassurance that everything was going to be okay...it was really a "grown-up" moment for me.

And I hope I never, ever have to do it again.

No comments: