Monday, August 20, 2007

My first day

For the most part, everything went really well. I think I'll have fun in 5th grade this year. There is one class in particular that I'm going to have to be a lot tougher on because they're much chattier, but overall, it's a good group of kids. I'm teaching 3 language arts/social studies classes and then one intensive reading block for an hour and a half (I have the lowest group, since they know I did that last year with the middle schoolers).

The funniest part of the day for me was during reading, when they were filling out one of those "getting to know you" surveys. One of the questions asked what they wanted to be when they grew up. One girl had written "art detector" down as her future career choice. I called her up to my desk to try to figure out what, exactly, an art detector did. After asking her several questions, I discovered that she meant "architecture." (This same girl, in reply to the question, "Is there anything else you would like to tell me about yourself?" wrote "No, but thank you for asking." LOLLOLOL. This year is going to be a blast.)

6 comments:

Nik said...

Glad things went well for you today. I hope you have a great year. Little miss art detector should be a hoot to have in class.

I know this may seem like a dumb question, and I think I already know the answer, but what's the lowest group? I assume ya mean the group that's made the least headway in reading, but just wanna make sure.

Anyways, best wishes to you and here's to a great year for you and your classes.

Jen said...

We measure it based on their scores to last year's FCATs. They're graded on a scale of 1-6, 5 being the highest, 3 being at grade level. (Or maybe 5 is the highest, I don't remember. I know it's 6 for writing, anyway.) ANYWHO, my kids are those who got a 1 on their reading FCAT. Good question, though. =-)

Renee said...

LOLOLOL. How cute! I'm glad your first day went well!

How, though, did you manage to teach SOCIAL STUDIES? That would be my own personal hell :-)

Brent starts first grade on Monday (the 27th). I'm sure it'll take a couple weeks for me to get used to him being gone ALL DAY, but I know I'm gonna get so much done! And I've signed up to do volunteer clerical work for Habitat for Humanity and general volunteer help at a food pantry. I'm pretty excited :-)

Jen said...

OOh you gotta post his back to school pics!!

IT was so damn funny cuz today we did an overview of the book, I showed them different sections and then they did group "book savenger hunts." well today, as we were going through the book, they were asking REALLY good questions, like "What's the difference between a sea and the ocean? Aren't they the same?" and "What's 'tundra' mean?" I knew the first one but for the second one I was like, "Excellent question! Where do you think you might go in the book to find the answer to that?" and they looked it up themselves. =-)

You know, though, how in some books they have the Gazeteer, which is a special reference index thing? Well I showed them that section and, as they were working in their groups, I heard one kid say, "Dude, look it up in the Ga-zeet-er." I almost DIED.

Anonymous said...

You had such fun Social Studies projects! Did you do some of that in your student teaching? I'm sure you'll be great again.

Renee - Wow, Brent's in 1st Grade! I think it's great that you're going to volunteer for such wonderful causes! I've always wanted to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity! They're so lucky to get you!

And last but not least - Jen, I love that you get to hide when you don't know stuff with such a good teacher answer! And I've never heard of a Gazeteer.

Renee said...

I've never heard of a Gazeteer, either :-)