Sunday, August 12, 2007

Adjusting

I've been taking my meds flawlessly. This is big for me since I'm HORRIBLE at remembering to take pills. Even when I'm sick--hacking up a lung from bronchitis, for example--I'll often forget. So being so diligent when I feel "well" (which, right now, I do) is a bit more challenging. Still, it hasn't been an easy few days, as my body adjusts to the medicine....

Day one: became flushed and starting sweating my ass off about 3 hours after my first dose.Was so miserable that I ALMOST felt bad for making fun of Mom and all of HER hot flashes. Menopause must be a whole different level of hell. Oddly, however, this profuse sweating was NOT one of the posted side effects so not sure what was going on there. Continued all day. Changed my Tshirt 3 times.

Days two and three: Sweating was gone but the thirst kicked in (this IS one of the known side effects). Drank 8 cans of pop and even more water each day. Moved into the bathroom since I was in there peeing so much anyway.

Days four and five: the thirst subsided and the drowsiness kicked in. Of course, "drowsy" is a typical state of being for me even when I'm NOT on drugs so I guess it was pretty much business as usual.

Day five: took a dose too long after eating. Laid in bed and prayed for death as a relief from the agoning, burning pain in my stomach. Had other gastronomic side effects as a result as well, of which I will spare you the details.

And that's where I am right now--pretty much drowsy but otherwise okay. Other than that, not feeling or seeing any changes yet, but I know that it'll be at least enough week and a half. The drowsiness sucks but it may be the lesser of evils, since many drugs have weight gain as a predominent side effect. And I'd rather be sleepy then gain back the weight I lost during my heartbreak phase a few weeks ago (hell, even with that little diet jump-start, I'm STILL carrying around that 8 extra pounds I picked up during my first year of teaching).

(Many people do report that lith. "numbs" or "dulls" them--I don't feel that yet.)

On the plus side, I finally mastered the pole back-bend that had me stymied. It was weird--one day, I was just able to DO it. Whoo hooo! Now I just have to nail the standing spins (I keep getting dizzy and staggering around like a drunken sailor--NOT as sexy as one might imagine).

9 comments:

keesh said...

Girl, those are all normal side affects that should subside with time. 8 cans of pop woman? Try more water. that will help disolve the meds. Hang in there!

Renee said...

LOLOLOLOLOL. I love you. You're so damn funny!

I'm with Kish on the pop/water thing. Pop (caffeine) DEHYDRATES you, so definitely try more water. Put the little flavor packets in if you can't do just straight up water. Even juice would be better than pop, but check your Rx label, cuz citrus juices interfere with some meds :-)

I'm really proud of you for taking your meds flawlessly, cuz I know how forgetful you can be with that stuff... hell, I was on the pill for like... 15 years (holy shit) and I still forgot once in a while. Anyway, good job! Love you, babe!

Jen said...

Today, the "gastronomic side effects" hit me HARD at school. Yeah, nice. Thank goodness I didn't have any students yet because I was in the bathroom for quite a while. =-)

keesh said...

lot's of water. lot's of water woman. that will help a lot.

Renee said...

LMAO :-) I'm sorry to hear that, but your phrasing cracks me up :-)

Jen said...

The water will help the GSE's, Kish?

keesh said...

I think it probably will help, yes. I am no doctor, but if you drink lots of water, you allow the meds to break down and dispense into your system easier...instead of allowing it to "settle" Right into your stomach...couldn't hurt to try and drink a few 8oz glasses of water the next time you take it...

Renee said...

I'm not a doctor, either, but I play one on TV, and Kishelle is right-- lots of water with ANY med, even just Advil, helps dissolve it and get it into your system faster. The nurses that I used to work with always told people to drink at LEAST 8oz of water with their meds.

And, btw-- congrats on mastering the pole back-bend! And the thought of you staggering around like a drunken sailor sounds quite sexy, indeed :-)

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the meds! I hope you're keeping it up.
I'm trying to remember to take vitamins lately and am not as successful as you are.
Way to go on the pole! You should post a video for us to enjoy.
LOL at all the comments!