Thursday, April 26, 2007

I never thought I'd say this....

...but I miss the snow.

I don't know why it's just hitting me NOW, at the end of April--maybe because winter is really over and I'm realizing, I didn't get to see any and won't until next year--and that's it if happens to snow when I'm home for Christmas, which I missed out on this time around.

In my head, of course, I'm thinking of the pretty, fluffy, white snow that makes everything look beautiful. I'm thinking of sipping hot cocoa in front of a roaring fire place (which I've never actually DONE, LOL). I'm glossing over the crappy parts of snow--how it's great for like the first hour and it just sucks for the next 4 months; how it's cold and miserable; how it turns gray and slushy and freezes your feet and makes driving an absolute bitch. But that's okay--because, chances are, I'll never have to deal with it for more than a week or two at a time again. I'm pretty sure that it'd be impossible to LIVE up north again after having experienced life down here (you were right, John and Fred). Still, having been a Yankee all my life, I'm just struggling with my first snowless winter--just as I had a bout of homesickness in the fall, when I missed out on leaves changing color and apple cider and pumpkin patches and apple orchards.

I'll be fine--but I kind of wish I could look out my window again and see the snow falling down.

I guess I'll just have to settle for palm trees.

14 comments:

Renee said...

Yeah, all the sun and the palm trees must be rough.

I know what you mean, though. I may bitch about it staying cold for so long, but I love having four seasons and I would really miss them if I didn't have them.

And LOL at your "sipping hot cocoa in front of a roaring fire place" comment! Hahahahaha.

John Cowart said...

Just wait till lovebug season; kinda like Florida's version of black snow.

Renee said...

Where the hell IS everyone?

Jen said...

I don't know!!!!!

Fred said...

It's not often I'm right.

Snow sucks. I hate it.

Renee said...

We've missed you, Fred!

But when you have little kids, snow is SO FUN! Yeah, it sucks to drive in blizzards, but snowball fights and sledding and building snowmen are SO fun, and it smells so good... and before it gets all slushy and dirty, it's BEAUTIFUL! It doesn't need to last for 6 months, but I'm still glad we get it :-)

keesh said...

Nee - the smell? I Didn't realize snow smelled? Hmmm....you funny :)

Renee said...

LOL. John says it doesn't smell, either, but Brent and I both think it does. I guess it's just the COLD that smells... don't you ever walk outside in late fall, before it's snowed and think, "it smells like snow out here"? Maybe I'm just crazed :-)

keesh said...

Um, Nee, are you ok? I have heard "smells like rain" But never snow...I think the air is crisp but I don't think there is a distinct smell. Hmm, anyone else want to comment on this? I think the people in the white coats may be coming to take her away ha ha, he he... :)

Renee said...

LOL. There's just a smell that I associate with winter and snow, I guess :-)

Madre said...

I think there's a certain smell in the air when it's going to snow. When it feels and smells like snow, the white stuff will be coming down soon.

Jen said...

yeah I think the air smells crisp and cold, but not "like snow"

Renee said...

Whatever. You guys have no sense of smell ;-) Lori's got my back, at least!

JH said...

Has the heat made you crazy, the only thing good about snow is the snow days it causes.