Friday, March 30, 2007

This is the stuff they don't teach you in school

On top of everything else that's been going on in my personal life (see below), not to mention various things back home (mostly with Katey, her family and her kids--well, one of them), this has been two of my most emotionally challenging weeks of teaching. I had two students come to me: a student who was being abused by her alcoholic father (7th grade) and one who had been raped (6th grade).

Part of the reason I was the one who found out about these things is because, out of the middle school teachers, I'm one of the youngest female ones--so naturally, they probably felt more comfortable confiding in me. However--and maybe more importantly-- I'm also their writing teacher...and, as I'm sure you can imagine, a LOT of personal shit comes out in writing. That's how I found out about both situations. Needless to say, I've spent a LOT of time down in the guidance counselor's office, and I even had to type up a testimony for the 6th grader who is having an emergency court guardianship hearing tomorrow (apparently, her mom ALSO abused her at home AND left her alone till 2 in the morning to feed, bathe and put to bed SEVERAL younger children--mind you, this girl is ELEVEN....however, the worst part was when she told us that she told her mom that she had been raped--and WHO had done it--and her mom "didn't do anything about it." This girl's essay talked about how she felt like "no one cared about her" and "sometimes I wonder if I should even spend another day on Earth." Yeah, try getting THAT essay as a first year teacher.)

Anyway, I thank God that both girls were strong enough to reach out for help in the only way they knew how, and I'm grateful that I wasn't too caught up in my OWN troubles to recognize their own cries for help...but it also breaks my heart that they've had to deal with these kinds of issues at such a young age.

Here's the thought that REALLY keeps me up at night, though.: these are only 2 out of 125 kids. It makes me wonder how many more are struggling silently.

7 comments:

John Cowart said...

Jen, I'm so glad you came to Florida to teach. You are making a difference. Thank you.

Jen said...

Thanks, John. Sometimes I wonder if it's a big enough difference, though.

Madre said...

It is a big enough difference to those girls, Jen. Think of it that way. What a huge difference you've made in their lives.

keesh said...

Awe Jen. it is too bad you have to go through this, but thank God these girls opened up!! Keep us posted on their progress!

Nik said...

Wow-- it sucks that those girls went through what they did but thank you for being there for them Jen. Hopefully they're on a brighter path now. How are the girls doing, do ya know?

Edward said...

Of course it is a big enough difference!

You won't save the world, Jen. You gotta save some of it for others. You might help keep some kid on track, though. And that is never too little.

Keep on!

Jen said...

The 6th grader pulled out of our school on Friday. We got an email saying that she was going to live with her grandma and CPS thought it was better for her to make an "immediate withdrawal." Not sure what's going on there, but I assume it has to do with making sure her mom didn't know where she is now. So I wish her well. I know she was happy about living with her grandma, though. So I feel like I was able to help at least a LITTLE, you know?