Friday, September 08, 2006

Fall

After being reminded by one of my MOM'S COWORKERS that I am neglecting my blogging duties, I figured I'd better get a post up here. I can't alienate my loyal readers, after all (yes, all 2 of them).

It's September and, in most parts of the country, that means fall is coming. I will say this: during all 29 years of my Michigan living, I bitched and moaned about the weather (especially winter, of course). But if Michigan does one thing right, it's fall. And I'm really going to miss that here. It's just now hitting me, I think, as we approach mid-month and the weather here is hotter than ever. I'm starting to think of what will be happening back home in the next 4-8 weeks: leaves changing colors, the smell of burning leaves, the chill in the air at football games (like I ever WENT to football games, but just go with me here), and those requisite trips to apple orchards and pumpkin patches, to name a few. Last fall, Anna and I went to an apple orchard, PICKED OUR OWN APPLES (people look at me like I've grown a second head when I mention it here) and then went home and made apple crisp (and for a girl who can't cook, I hit that one out of the ballpark, I must say). I can't make apple crisp from freshly-picked apples here. Oooh, and don't even get me STARTED on apple cider and cider donuts. I suppose I could go pick coconuts and make a lovely cream pie or something, but it just doesn't seem the same.

So that's what I'm thinking about as we approach fall and I'm sitting here sweltering in the heat. (In what crazy world is SEPTEMBER once of the hottest months of the year?!) Just this morning, I went to CVS and saw all the fall accoutrements (MAJOR props to me for using such a fancy word--at **8 am**, no less): the decorations (pumpkins, orange/brown foliage), scented candles (pumpkin, apple), cute little towels with "fall scenes" on them, etc. When I get paid again, I'm going to buy them OUT.

For those of you in the midwest: yes, winters suck. Yes, it gets cold as hell. Yes, that shitty weather sometimes lasts well into April or even May sometimes. But you all have one HELL of a fall.

Enjoy it.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, I won't be feeling nearly this nostaligic in the dead of winter, that's for sure. =-)

Nik said...

Of course she'll be home for Thanksgiving, that's Girl's Night and we're gettin a limo, remember? LMAO

Anyways, Jen, sorry that you'll miss out on fall, but it will be okay. You'll still get to go out and walk the beach, while we're all bundled up and freezin our asses off.

Fred said...

You'll miss fall and winter this year. Then, you'll never miss it again.