Thursday, July 29, 2004

Come ON.
 
Those of you who remember my recent low-carb rant are going to LOVE this one. This Yahoo news story caught my eye today (
  • School Cafeterias Resist Low-Carb Pressure
  • ). I swear, I thought my head was going to explode. The article discussed requests by parents for schools to include Atkins-friendly and other low-carb options in school lunch programs.

    Now, don't get me wrong. I'm all about students eating healthy, especially since childhood obesity is at an all-time high. But if you feel the need to jump on every Fad Diet Bandwagon that comes along, then at the very least, LEAVE YOUR KID OUT OF IT.  If you don't know that "such diets aren't appropriate for growing children and active teenagers," then you probably shouldn't be responsible for a PLANT, let alone a kid. If you're worried about your kid's health, then don't send him to school with a "low carb candy bar"--shit, don't send candy with him at all. Give him a freakin' apple.  Have them turn off the goddamn Xbox every now and then and go outside. And I swear to you, if your kid goes through the lunch line and requests a "bunless hamburger," I am going to come to your house and step on your head.

    I have a ten-year-old girl at camp who always says, "I hate my thighs. Look how big they are." (They're not.)  And at school this past year, a FIRST GRADER--who, by the way, is skin and bones--always talked about how "fat" she was. KIDS SHOULD NOT BE WORRYING ABOUT THIS STUFF. If you have body-image problems, fine. But don't pass them on to your kids.

    No comments: