Tuesday, July 06, 2004

One-week anniversary.

As so many of you know, I've been struggling to quit smoking for a while now...days, months, years--it just depends on when you start counting.

Well, this latest time, I've been cutting back quite a bit for several weeks now; however, with the prices in Michigan going up ANOTHER 75 cents a pack, I received another much-needed kick in the ass. In fact, I haven't had a single cigarette since last Thursday (so it's officially one week tomorrow--and holy shit, it's been a LONG week). I'm chewing on straws like crazy, but other than that, I'm not "using" anything (like the patch, etc). I just want to get the nicotine out of my system, and things like the patch keep "feeding" me nicotine. I understand the theory behind these nicotine replacement systems and I know that they've proven to be very effective for some people; but for me, this is what I need to do.

I can usually quit short-term like this; it's keeping it going for weeks and months that has been my downfall. It's so stupid, too--I'll quit long enough to get the nicotine out of my system, so that it's no longer a matter of PHYSICAL addiction (just mental--but that's bad enough)...and then I'll start smoking again, get re-"hooked" and have to go through the withdrawal process all over again. And let me tell you, it's quite unpleasant.

SO...I'm trying my damndest to make this my final quit attempt. I have the support my fabulous friends, the nagging of my mother and, luckily, I'm spending quite a bit of time with a nonsmoker, which makes this whole thing SO much easier.

Because of my health situation, quitting isn't really an "option" for me. It's a necessity. YOU all have known this for quite a while now. And honestly, I have, too. And now, I'm summoning every ounce of strength I have to finally do something about it. I'm even reading "Quitting Smoking for Dummies."

...I still want a cigarette, though.

No comments: