Friday, July 02, 2004

I get to marry somebody!

As some of you know, I was ordained online back in April by the Universal Life Church. Well, it looks like I'm actually going to get to use my reverend-ness. One of the girls I work with (named April, actually) is getting married later this summer and was looking for someone to conduct the wedding. It's an outdoor wedding (on the beach, which I think is beautiful), so they were having a hard time finding a church-affiliated person to perform the ceremony (plus, neither the bride nor the groom is really associated with a particular church). When she found out that I was ordained, she asked if I would drive out to West Michigan to perform her ceremony and offered to put me up at a bed-n-breakfast with the other guests. When I told her that South Haven (where they're having the wedding) is about 30 minutes from my mom's house and I could just stay there, she was even MORE excited.

She was going to pay the officiant about $200 (plus the cost of the room); I wouldn't feel right taking THAT much, but I figure $75 plus the cost of the materials I'll need to purchase (certificate and a ceremony book) would still save them $100--not to mention the cost of putting up a different officiant.

I became ordained on a whim and didn't really think too much more about it; however, I am really, really honored that April would entrust me with one of the most important ceremonies of her life. I mean, I get to MARRY two people. That's pretty awesome.

  • Universal Life Church
  • No comments: