Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mineral Makeup

Have any of you tried mineral makeup before? I first heard of it about a month ago when I saw a display of a particular brand at CVS. I started doing some research online and there are a TON of companies out there--from the brand name, uber-expensive ones with all the infomercials to lesser-known, lower-priced alternatives.

As many of you know, I've struggled with bad skin all my life (and will probably always continue to do so). The heavy, cakey foundation (all different brands) I've used over the years probably haven't helped. Even the foundations I've used in the last year or two, the ones with some type of acne-medication in it, haven't really helped. Let's face it--that stuff just gets in your pores and cloggs them all up.

So I decided to give mineral makeup a try. I started with Sheer Cover--a pricier brand, but they have a great deal on their starter kit. However, I (of course) started breaking out within days of using it. After more research, I found out that it was likely due to an ingredient called bismuth oxychloride, a cheaper "filler" known to cause itchiness and breakouts in certain skin types. So I looked around and found a company called Southern Magnolia Minerals--MUCH lower priced and they don't have that particular ingredient. Plus, they have AMAZING reviews from their customers and great customer service. And so far, so good (as far as breakouts go).

But more importantly, I LOVE how it looks on my skin!!! There's no line to blend in, no "mask", no heavy feeling. You dust it on with a brush and it goes on very seamlessly and almost disappears--yet it still covers, if that makes sense. And it feels so light that right now, I don't feel like I have makeup on. I also don't have to worry about it streaking!

Anyway, just wondered if any of you have tried this type of makeup and your experiences with it. (FYI: I highly suggest Southen Magnolia. Check them out online. You can also find them on eBay--they have an eBay store with great details.)

10 comments:

keesh said...

Thanks for sharing this. I want something like that for sure!It seems everything is too cakey or doesn't cover evenly...I will check it out!

any new news on the kenny thing?

Jen said...

Sure thing Kish. You can get starter kits at Southern Magnolia for like $15.

http://stores.ebay.com/Southern-Magnolia-Minerals_Medium-to-Tan_W0QQfsubZ9588666

No news. Haven't heard from his mom at all in the last few days. Maybe she's just been out of town for the holidays and not hear a computer.

Renee said...

I've tried Bare Minerals and I LOVE it. I think it's the first one that came out, at least in infomercial world. And it's pretty expensive. Two years ago my sister and I went to the Bare Minerals store at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg for a complimentary application and fell in love. I have the wrong color, though; it's too pale. I need to go get the right color so I can actually use the stuff. I gotta say, the $15 stuff might be a better option...

Jen said...

Yeah I don't know how it compares to BM as far as quality, but I'm pretty damn happy with it. And you don't have to sign up for a per-month thing; you just buy more when you need it.

keesh said...

I ordered some to try :). thanks again Jen!

Anonymous said...

I've been using the Neutrogena version but I'm not sure how thrilled I am with it. It's ok. People don't look at me and say "Deb! You are positively glowing!" :-)

Renee said...

LOL. I thought menopausal women "glowed" all the time ;-)

Jen said...

Kish: what I like about them is that if your color doesnt match, they'll send you another shade FREE to mix in with it and make it blend more. THAT'S awesome!

Renee:hahhahahhahhahhaahhhahahahahah. GOOD ONE!!!

Renee said...

Thanks; I enjoyed it :-) Makes me wanna yell "BURN!" ala Kelso :-)

keesh said...

I got it in the mail. it seems to cover nicely and I like the colors so I am all set. It feels really light. Will see how the day goes with it :).