Saturday, June 05, 2004

How to get a job at Kaplan.

Thanks to everyone with your help on my "how to" dilemma. I ended up presenting "how to write a haiku," and I got the job. I'm incredibly excited. After a 20-hour training, I'll start teaching for Kaplan. It seems like a great company and I really like the people I'll be training with (those that I met so far, anyway). It was intimidating, though. I was auditioning with graduates of Princeton, Cornell and other top-name schools. And then there was me (Detroit Mercy representin'). For some reason, though, they still invited me to join teacher training, as well. It's a pretty intense training with a LOT of at-home work, as though--it's going to be a busy month. However, if the teachers don't do an effective job, then there IS no Kaplan--so I understand why they push us so hard.

However, remember that interview I had a couple of weeks ago? The one that I thought went really well? I just found out that the lady I interviewed with is not going to be the principal of the Southfield school, after all...so I need to find out who WILL be running that school next year and start the process all over again. And I'm not sure I can be charming and witty twice in a row like that.

We had Field Day at school on Friday. I was in the tug of war (go fourth grade!), the hurdles and the sack race (yes, my best event was "in the sack"). However, I'm really, really sore. Field Day is a lot harder when you're 27. (After the secretary and I ran the hurdles, we were down for the count for about half an hour.)

It was a great day, though. I'm going to miss those kids.

No comments: