Thursday, December 13, 2007

Alrighty then

A student was up at my desk, telling me about his father.

And then he added, "Or should I say, sperm donor," and blithely kept going with his story.

"Wait a minute," I interrupted. "WHAT did you say?"

"Sperm donor," he innocently repeated. "What?" he asked when he saw the look on my face. "Well, that's what my MOM calls him."

"Okay," I said. "But D., that's not really a word we use at school."

And then I turned my chair around so he wouldn't see my smirk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, I'm confused. Is this kid's father a real person in his life or his he a product of sperm donation?
Because if his mom was artificially inseminated, I think he should be able to use the word, as long as he does so appropriately.
If his mom is just putting down his dad then that's messed up! Here's proof once again that kids take in more and say more things than adults would expect.

Jen said...

Nope, it was just a regular ol' (unfortunately) absentee dad--left right after he was born. Sure, he deserves the title--but to say it to your kid??

Renee said...

LOLOLOL. I agree; he might deserve the title, but your child should NEVER hear that.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yeah, ok then. I didn't get that at first. Poor kid. Sounds like both his dad and mom might not be the best.