Saturday, January 05, 2008

"That nice Jen girl" is back

Well, here I am, back in sunny and warm (for the most part) Florida. I'm pretty happy to be here, too. Sure, it was nice to spend time with family, but--it's freaking' FLORIDA. =-)

Mom and I survived. We only had a couple of fights (probably because, towards the end, I was pouring Schnapps into my freakin' CEREAL). I saw good friends, got a bit tipsy with a particular sister, took Paige to Build a Bear (or, as Savannah calls it, "Build a Bear Workshop Where Best Friends Are Made," like that's the whole name) and out shopping (she's been the only "good" kid in that family recently so that was her reward). Spent a rockin' New Years Eve with Katey, her kids and Mom and Steve. (Was contemplating going out with Jen but then we got a snow storm so we decided not to risk it.) I also got a lot of work done on my first Masters assignment. I've submitted and am just waiting to get the evaluation results. I still have 2 more projects to go, which I'd like to have done by the end of the month.

Overall, it was a great trip home. I got a new planner (my days of forgetting birthdays and appointments are SO over) and am working on my two big resolutions, to reduce my debt (because "getting out of it" in one year is probably not realistic, but I've gotten an amazing book that's giving me a step-by-step process--Mom, it's a good book for you and Katey, FYI--very hopeful and encouraging). Also, for the first time in several years, I've had to make a weight-related resolution. It's not CRITICAL yet, but I've gained back about 10 of the pounds I lost a few years ago--and I'm going to stop that NOW before it escalates. Because as I've learned, it can do so very quickly. Oh--and for the first time, I entered the New Year as a non-smoker. I'd like to keep it that way. All in all, very solid, healthy and ACHIEVABLE resolutions.

After being around sick people for the last two weeks, I was able to fight off the germs with my new Super Teacher Immune System--until, oh, 3 hours before my flight took off on Friday. Seriously. It got worse on the flight, considerably escalated overnight and now I'm flat out miserable from the Cold From Hell. And I go back to school on Monday. AWESOME. My next two days are sleeping, lesson planning, and that's it.

Sorry I've been out of touch, but because Mom and Steve still have dial-up (and sucky dial-up at that), creating this post would have taken about an hour at their house. Shout-out to Renee for keeping ya semi-updated.

Now...check in! What's up with all of you? Any good resolutions? Good holiday stories?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! You're back! The internet, blog world and life in general is so much more fun with you entertaining me!

Way to go on entering the year as a non-smoker! I didn't know you were doing that.
What's the title of the get out of debt book? I want to look into it for my mom.

Sounds like you had a good break. Ours was good, especially considering the circumstances. Christmas in Vegas with Dad & fam was fun. Later Christmas with Tim's side at our house was good. New Year's in Milwaukee with friends was pretty good. I'm now glad to be home and without houseguests for the first time in a month ;)