Monday, June 19, 2006

Am I really going to do this?

This Florida thing is looking more and more like a go. I got a call from the principal this morning; she said she checked out my references and they were all positive, especially one from the wonderful Mrs. R., and that they were "very interested" in me. She (the principal) was going to call tonight or tomorrow to talk to me in more detail.

As I said in a recent email, I'm adjusting to the idea of moving to a new place, starting over wthout knowing anyone, etc. For me, right now, the biggest obstacle is the financial/logistical aspect of the move. I have to have first month rent, deposit plus the cost of moving. The estimated quote for a uHaul truck was $1100, so I don't think that's going to work. Towing a uHaul trailer behind my car would only be about $150, but I'd have to have a hitch installed on my car and I don't know yet how much that's going to be. I wouldn't think more than a couple hundred, but what do I know. Option C is renting some kind of cargo van (where the hell do you go to rent a cargo van? Avis and Hertz only have SUVs) or an SUV, bringing whatever I can fit into it and then getting the rest when I get down there. (Initially, I'll just be staying with someone I find via roommates.com, so I'll be moving into a furnished home/condo/apartment and will only have to worry about a bed right away; the rest I can find through classifieds once I'm there. At some point, once I'm settled into my job and the area, I can start looking for my own place, unless I really click with the person I live with and we both want the arrangement to continue for a while.)

So that's the latest, bearing in mind that I haven't been officially OFFERED the job yet (but that seems to be a very imminent and real possibility).

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

5 comments:

John Cowart said...

U-Haul???
Cargo van???
Most folks who move from up there to down here, just throw their stuff in a carpetbag and hop a frieght train.

Just kidding. You'll love Florida however you get here.

Jen said...

Good ideas all--let me know what your dad says Renee. And yeah, you're right, LoB, I COULD come back later and bring the rest of my stuff when I have a bit more money.

Mom said...

You can't keep driving back and forth. It's not like driving to Detroit, you know.

Jen said...

Don't even start, Renee

Fred said...

LoB: Clewiston? What's next? Yeehaw Junction? (Florida jokes, folks, sorry.)