Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Coming up for air.

As a lot of you have remembered, I started my new job this week. My days (and nights) have been pretty busy--I feel incredibly overwhelmed, actually--but I wanted to take a moment to give you all an update.

As I mentioned, I'm working at a childcare center here in town. I'm working as the teacher for the "school-age" kids, although here, school-age means "any kid 4 or older--and maybe 3, if they're driving us crazy and we want to send them down to Jen." ;) From 11-3:30, I work primarily with the kindergartners; at 3:30 or so, we're joined by the afterschool kids (1st - 6th grade) who come to us from the local elementary schools.

A big part of my morning is spent on a) lunchtime and b) naptime. Both, as you can imagine, are time-consuming processes. I usually have about 10 4-5 year olds; and we actually serve them lunch--they don't bring it from home, because that would be too easy. None of that "sandwhich and juice box" stuff for US. No, we serve these frickin' 9-course meals including the main "entree" (today, it was tacos), veggies, fruit and milk. Oh, and since we encourage independence, the kids "serve themselves." So you can imagine the free-for-all that is lunch.

Then comes naptime. Yeah. Getting those same kids to lie (lay?) down is pretty easy. Getting them to actually STAY that way, without talking, is the challenge. Most of that hour and a half is spent repeating "lay down." "No talking." "Lay down." "No, you can't get a book." "Please get back on your cot." "We need to be quiet." "Take that out of your nose."

And the afterschool crowd is challenging, too, because you have so many different ages in one room and you have to try to keep them all busy and occupied. And the room they gave me hasn't been occupied in a while, so there's not a whole of games, materials, etc for the older kids. And it's been so cold lately that it's been hard for us to go outside.

Don't get me wrong....I'm glad to be working with kids again, but this definitely is not my dream teaching job. Still, it's good experience while I look for a "real" teaching job at an actual school (preferably middle school). Unfortunately, that probably won't happen until the next school year, which means I'll be here at least through the summer. It's just hard to start a new job like this, try to establish control with so many kids testing you, get them settled into their new routine with their new teacher, etc.

So that's been the last few days, me working pretty long days, trying to get my room set up, etc. I'm just pretty tired, cuz it's been a while since I've worked with kids this little. They definitely take it out of you, I'll tell you what. Otherwise, things are going pretty well. Nothing too exciting to report on my V-Day, although I did get a really sweet e-card and phone call from Tyson.

Oh, on Monday night, I took Paige to a roller rink for a skating party her school was having. Now, being a child of the 80s, I was all about the rinks in my day (Holla, Renee!)--and although it's been, oh, 18 years or so, I can still keep myself on my feet pretty well (except for the VERY LAST SONG, which was a Bon Jovi song...I got flashbacks of "back in the day," got a little too conident and totally wiped out)....anyway, although I can keep myself on my feet, I also had to keep PAIGE upright. Mind you, she had only been skating one other time in her life, and--although I love her to death--she's not the most coordinated kid on FEET, let alone on wheels. So keeping us BOTH from breaking our necks was pretty challenging. Still, I had a really good time.

So that's about all I have to report. What's new with all of you?

9 comments:

keesh said...

and with all this going on, you still took a moment to email me. I love ya girl! You will be fine with those kids! Remember, the first week or two or three is kind of a test of the one in charge, then they will get it :).

Jen said...

That would be SWEET. You could just send them to me, actually. Would you actually need them back, though? Cuz I can't guarantee their safe return. =-)

And FYI, Kish, my "problems" PALE in comparison to those YOU'VE been dealing with the last week or two. I'm thinking of you!!

Nik said...

You should have invited me to the skating party-- I could use a good belly laugh right now. hehehe
As far as containing the kids at naptime, you could always tell them if they don't behave and take a nap, that you've got Santa Clause on speed dial and you're not afraid to report the naughty ones (or something to that effect anyways). Everything will be alright, it's just gonna take some time. Assert your dominance and a slight cuff to the back of the head is justifiable (to me anyways, lol). Best of luck to ya with the job and I'll see if the boys have any games that they don't play with anymore. Oh and Toys R Us is having a big going out of business sale, if you're looking to buy a few things.

John Cowart said...

Hi Broken,
Just reading your post exhausts me!
You must be a saint to endure this.
How soon is it before you qualify for a vacation from this job?

Jen said...

John: a YEAR.

But I do get 6 "sick days" a year )once every 2 months). ;)

Mom said...

What do you mean, you can't guarantee their safe return?

That does not bode well for the ones *I* gave you.

Jen said...

Today was much better, though. I got 7 out of 9 kids sleeping at the same time with Mom's Il Divo CD; my transportation activity went well (making a collage of transportation pictures cut out of magazines) and I kept the kids busy after school with homework, hide and seek and the new games I brought in.

Of course, a lot of my most challenging kids weren't there today. =-)

Jen said...

You BOUGHT things?? You told me you were just giving me things from around the house!!

Jen said...

Renee's always "offering" something.

;)

BURN!